[lldb-dev] What triggers eStopReasonInvalid?

jingham at apple.com jingham at apple.com
Thu Oct 23 11:01:40 PDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 10:00 AM, Mario Zechner <badlogicgames at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is on Mac OS X, so i assume it's a problem in one of the other ProcessXXX classes. It's currently a bit tough to diagnose if this stop event with the eStopReasonInvalid thread states is in response to SBProcess::Stop() or not. I sure does look like a race condition, as it isn't deterministic. E.g. Using a timeout of 0 seconds on SBListener::WaitForEvent will sporadically send those stop events, while they are entirely gone if i use a higher timeout. I'll try to produce a test case that reproduces the issue, but that may take a while.
>
> Related, what does eStopReasonTrace mean? I also get that sporadically (using a different test case). Could it be related to the process exiting before the SBProcess::Stop() command is executed?

eStopReasonTrace means we requested on thread to run on instruction (on most modern processors this is implemented by setting the trace bit in some flags register, thus the name) and the single instruction step completed.  This stop reason actually happens a lot, but you generally shouldn't see it because single stepping is usually used to implement some larger purpose, and we'll convert the eStopReasonTrace to a stop reason appropriate to that larger purpose when we actually get around to returning control to the public layers of lldb.

> I have a feeling that my issues may also stem from the fact that i have two separate threads interacting with LLDB. I have one event polling thread which essentially just calls SBListener::WaitForEvent in a loop and delegates the events to other listeners. The second thread is a command thread that listens for user input and then sends commands such to LLDB, e.g. interrupt the process, continue the process etc. However, sometimes the listeners need to send commands to LLDB as well, which may overlap with sending commands on the command thread. I assume this could be an issue as well?

You should not have more than one listener listening for process events.  Greg just fixed some bugs in how commands that run in synchronous mode protect the process event source when they are waiting to complete their synchronous operation.  That could also cause this sort of thing.

Jim