[lldb-dev] Heads up - test runner fix

Todd Fiala todd.fiala at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 09:32:50 PDT 2014

Hey all,

I have good news and bad news.

Good: our test runners now report failures correctly.
Bad news: our test runners have not been reporting failures since Aug 8
2014.

As of svn r219689, dotest.py will once again report errors/failures via
non-zero return value, which will then propagate correctly through test run
results as reported by 'make test', 'ninja check-lldb', etc.

You will almost certainly see test failures show up after r219689 that you
were not seeing before.  This is the accumulation of all build breaks we
essentially made starting with r215256.  We will need to fix the errors,
not revert r219689.  (That would be akin to shooting the messenger).

The lesson here is make sure we don't break our test runner, and ensure
return values from the test runner are preserved on exit.  That is a hugely
critical facility.  I will look into adding a test runner test so we don't
break that again.
--
-Todd