[lldb-dev] Adding a new RegisterContext for Windows

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Mon Nov 17 15:59:21 PST 2014

I'm looking into adding a new RegisterContext for windows.  Virgile's patch
that I was working on merging inherited from RegisterContext_POSIX, but on
the surface this seems like the wrong thing to do, and I wonder if we need
an entirely new one for Windows (or need to change the name of
RegisterContext_POSIX to something else).

What are all the steps involved here?  From what I can tell at a minimum I
need to implement a RegisterContextWindows_x86 and
RegisterContextWindows_x86_64, but there's also RegisterInfoInterface and a
few other things I need to figure out.

A few other specific questions:
1) Why is all this stuff for different platforms is in
Plugins/Process/Utility, instead of in the individual process plugins like
Plugins/Process/Linux, or Plugins/Process/FreeBSD?

2) Some code seems to be dead.  Like in RegisterContextPosix, there's a
long list of static variables, g_contained_eax, g_invalidate_eax, etc.  But
none of this stuff seems to be used for anything.  Am I overlooking
something obvious?

3) What is the difference between a RegisterInfoInterface and a
RegisterContext?