[lldb-dev] Debugging a running process with lldb

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Wed May 14 22:29:37 PDT 2014

Greg Clayton wrote:
> If we launch a process and hookup a pty to its stdin/out/err, then we shouldn't get a prompt.
Sorry, I don't understand this. Surely if we attach the inferior's (i.e.
what you termed the process) standard IOs to a pty, then we *will* get a
prompt, since then lldb can use it's terminal with no corruption from
the inferiors in/out?

(I'm not actually clear about the relationship between the "process
launch" -t and -n commands. I do accept that they are mutually
exclusive. I assume, -n means that the stdin/out/err of the inferior is
closed, so that lldb has complete use of the foreground, so it could use
it's prompt. I assume -t means attach the inferior to a different pty,
so again, lldb should still be able to use it's prompt.)
>   It is probably a bug where if you launch with --no-stdio that the LLDB prompt isn't always active.
>
> For attach, we will always have a prompt.
>
> So seems this is a bug that --no-stdio is still pushing a Process IOHandler and taking over the console while the process is running.
So you are saying if I do
(lldb) process launch -s --no-stdio
then
(lldb) process continue

then I should always see:
(lldb)
back on my terminal?

Todd, could you try this (a couple of times, in case I'm seeing
something intermittent) please, to see if your observations agree?

thanks
Matt

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Keep up to date with CSR on our technical blog, www.csr.com/blog, CSR people blog, www.csr.com/people, YouTube, www.youtube.com/user/CSRplc, Facebook, www.facebook.com/pages/CSR/191038434253534, or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CSR_plc.
New for 2014, you can now access the wide range of products powered by aptX at www.aptx.com.