[lldb-dev] How to redirect stdin/out/err to different pty?

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Wed Mar 26 13:33:17 PDT 2014

Looks like you might need to look at:

ProcessMonitor::Launch(LaunchArgs *args)

It is what does the fork + exec.

It also looks like no matter what is sent to ProcessMonitor::Launch(LaunchArgs *args) for stdin, stdout, stderr, Linux _always_ launches using a pseudo terminal by doing:

    lldb_utility::PseudoTerminal terminal;
    if ((pid = terminal.Fork(err_str, err_len)) == -1)

If you look at the "terminal.Fork()" code you will see that it actually sets stdin/out/err to the slave slide of the pseudo terminal, so there is no telling if the code in ProcessMonitor::Launch():

        if (stdin_path != NULL && stdin_path[0])
            if (!DupDescriptor(stdin_path, STDIN_FILENO, O_RDONLY))
                exit(eDupStdinFailed);

        if (stdout_path != NULL && stdout_path[0])
            if (!DupDescriptor(stdout_path, STDOUT_FILENO, O_WRONLY | O_CREAT))
                exit(eDupStdoutFailed);

        if (stderr_path != NULL && stderr_path[0])
            if (!DupDescriptor(stderr_path, STDERR_FILENO, O_WRONLY | O_CREAT))
                exit(eDupStderrFailed);

Will work? ProcessMonitor::DupDescriptor() does:

bool
ProcessMonitor::DupDescriptor(const char *path, int fd, int flags)
{
    int target_fd = open(path, flags, 0666);

    if (target_fd == -1)
        return false;

    return (dup2(target_fd, fd) == -1) ? false : true;
}

I would assume you would need to call close() on stdin/out/err first? Again the PseudoTerminal::Fork() has always already setup stdin/out/err to the slave side and the DupDescriptor calls are probably failing.

Greg