[lldb-dev] LLDB causes application to 'stopped'

Eran Ifrah eran.ifrah at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 02:31:10 PDT 2014

Hi,

Let me first explain what I am trying to do here:
I have written an LLDB plugin for codelite IDE which so far supports
limited functionality, but as soon as I will overcome all the small
distractions, I expect it to be fully functional
in matter of days.

However, I have encountered yet another annoyance:

The plugin is hosted within codelite (plugins are shared objects). On
startup, codelite loads all the plugins available for it and calls their
initialization method.
The LLDB plugin initialization includes this line:

lldb::SBDebugger::Initialize();

However, this line will work properly unless I have started codelite in the
background :P

So by starting codelite like this:
$codelite &

LLDB will cause codelite process to 'stop' (the backtrace goes deep into
libpython terminal initialization)
bringing codelite to the foreground fixes this (you can now put codelite in
the background once again without any problems, since we passed the
'Initialize' phase)

The same can be observed when starting lldb in the background (i.e. you
will get the same backtrace):
$lldb&

Any ideas on how to overcome this? Maybe building lldb without python
support?

P.S:

Other annoyance I encountered which might worth written to this mailing
list (so at least they can be archived so other people might find them
while googling ;) )
* Make sure you application is not blocking any *SIGCHLD* signals or the
debugger will fail to report the process events correctly (
SBProcess::WaitForEvent )

--
Eran Ifrah
Author of codelite, a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: