[lldb-dev] IRInterpreter strange behavior

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Thu Jun 26 17:30:01 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Sean Callanan <scallanan at apple.com> wrote:

> Zachary,
>
> LLI’s interpreter is (a) not really supported code, having been superseded
> by the JIT; and (b) founded on the assumption that we’re interpreting
> inside the current process.
> The LLDB IRInterpreter is focused on interpreting in the context of
> another process (the IRMemoryMap is the interface it uses).
>
> It’s not clear to me what’s doing this.  On OS X we don’t get this error:

Isn't the IRInterpreter also only for interpreting inside the current
process?  At least the header file implies so.

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
/// @class IRInterpreter IRInterpreter.h "lldb/Expression/IRInterpreter.h"
/// @brief Attempt to interpret the function's code if it does not require
///        running the target.
///
/// In some cases, the IR for an expression can be evaluated entirely
/// in the debugger, manipulating variables but not executing any code
/// in the target.  The IRInterpreter attempts to do this.

Of course LLDB itself also needs to interpret things inside the context of
the remote process, but I assumed that was handled by a different class.