[lldb-dev] ELF file header e_machine number registration, question

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Sun Jun 15 22:55:21 PDT 2014

John Wolfe wrote:
> Matthew contacted me directly in a separate e-mail.  I have provided
> him with the "official" e-mail address to register a new e-machine
> name in the Sys V gABI.
> +
> Either registry at xinuos.com or registry at sco.com will work.
>
> Once the request and details are received, a permanent e-machine value
> will be reserved for CSR's Kalimba processor family, and I am certain
> that it will be a much lower value than 29420.
>
> -- John

Thanks again John,

However, I'd just like to get my original question clearly answered. Can
I submit upstream a machine definition from the "random" range i.e.

+ EM_KALIMBA = 29420 // Kalimba

or do we *need* a properly registered number in order to comply?

Some folks in my firm are somewhat resistant of the change (due to tools
breakage etc.), and will need strong justification before I can make the
registration request.

thanks
Matt

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Keep up to date with CSR on our technical blog, www.csr.com/blog, CSR people blog, www.csr.com/people, YouTube, www.youtube.com/user/CSRplc, Facebook, www.facebook.com/pages/CSR/191038434253534, or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CSR_plc.
New for 2014, you can now access the wide range of products powered by aptX at www.aptx.com.