[lldb-dev] Target::ReadMemory query

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Tue Jun 10 06:28:49 PDT 2014

Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> (I get the DynamicLoaderPOSIXDYLD used, regardless of whether my
> triple string is kalimba-unknown-unknown or i386-unknown-unknown.
> kalimba is our chip's name).
>
> I'll spend the rest of my day trying to figure out why
> DynamicLoaderStatic is not being used.

My hunch was correct (thanks for the hint Greg!) - the dynamic loader
plugin, was previously DynamicLoaderPOSIXDYLD, if I *hack* stuff, and
arrange that DynamicLoaderStatic is used, then my ELF has it's sections
loaded, and a memory read from a known global variable address works.
(At that moment a smile appears on my face!).

The problem is figuring out why DynamicLoaderPOSIXDYLD was used as the
dynamic loader in my "embedded target debug".

The first issue I've seen, as to the cause of the above, is that when
the DYLDers are being queried by plugin discovery, my target's
architecture, is being reported as having os=linux.

{Data = "unknown--linux"
Arch = llvm::Triple::UnknownArch
Vendor = llvm::Triple::UnknownVendor
OS = llvm::Triple::Linux
..}

This is despite my stub, reporting "unknown" in the os part of the triple:

-> qHostInfo
<- pid:1;endian:little;triple:kalimba-unknown-unknown;ptrsize:4;
-> qProcessInfo
<- pid:1;endian:little;triple:kalimba-unknown-unknown;ptrsize:4;

I guess, I'll have to dig deeper into the Target/Get/Set/Architecture
code. (After doing more digging, since I first started to pen this mail,
I believe that upon "target create", my lldb Target object initially
acquires the host OS's id in it's triple. Perhaps the issue is that
ProcessGDBRemote fails to subsequently override this? That's what I'm
looking at now.)

After forcing my copy's DynamicLoaderPOSIXDYLD::CreateInstance to return
NULL, the next issue to hack around was:

DynamicLoader *
DynamicLoaderStatic::CreateInstance (Process* process, bool force)
{
create = (object_file->GetStrata() == ObjectFile::eStrataRawImage);
}

when parsing my ELF object_file->GetStrata() returns eStrataUser as the
strata, and thus initially the DynamicLoaderStatic was not created.

So does not DynamicLoaderStatic::CreateInstance require some
modification e.g.

if (object_file)
{
     const ObjectFile::Strata s = object_file->GetStrata();
     create = (s == ObjectFile::eStrataRawImage) ||
       (s == ObjectFile::eStrataUser);
}

?

Matt

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Keep up to date with CSR on our technical blog, www.csr.com/blog, CSR people blog, www.csr.com/people, YouTube, www.youtube.com/user/CSRplc, Facebook, www.facebook.com/pages/CSR/191038434253534, or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CSR_plc.
New for 2014, you can now access the wide range of products powered by aptX at www.aptx.com.