[lldb-dev] hold off on check-ins, please [ALL CLEAR]

Todd Fiala todd.fiala at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 18:04:35 PDT 2014

Hey Ed,

I've actually got some build scripts I use to build lldb/clang/llvm on a
MacOSX and rsync to Linux and FreeBSD VMs, doing all the conversions of
directory structures and warnings/errors so that everything shows up in
Xcode, regardless of compiler used on the remote end (clang/gcc).  It has
really helped my productivity when navigating code.  (Something similar
would be the case if I was in VS on Windows).

The short version is you need this:

MacOSX side with Xcode:
lldb
  |- llvm
       |- tools/clang

On the Linux/FreeBSD, everything-else side, you typically want to do this
(as you are very familiar):
   |- llvm
       |-tools
          |- clang
          |- lldb

I am planning on cleaning up the build script a bit and putting it in our
scripts dir.  It takes care of all the dirty bits of moving files
seamlessly between machines and having one of them be the "master", making
it easy to test changes everywhere, and all the architecture configurations
can be built simultaneously.  It's based on a script that doesn't have to
be run via Xcode, it's just possible to do so.

Currently the "master" bit is really setup to just be MacOSX, so the MacOSX
xcode-based tree structure.  But I could extend it to assume the main side
is also in the other configuration.

Unfortunately this won't go up until after I get back from a vacation
(leaving end of day tomorrow, back in a little under 2 weeks).

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 29 July 2014 19:49,  <jingham at apple.com> wrote:
> >
> > So I tend to not update my clang/llvm checkouts till something - usually
> some interface change that somebody else checks into lldb - forces me to.
>
> I suspect this is also somewhat a consequence of the Xcode LLDB build,
> where Clang/LLVM is treated as a separate standalone library, not part
> of a whole.  (I'm still not quite sure how to map my usual directory
> layout for cmake builds into what's expected by the Xcode build.)

-Todd