[lldb-dev] Use of MAKE in tests

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 28 17:53:43 PDT 2014

On 21 July 2014 17:19,  <jingham at apple.com> wrote:

> There is a script in the scripts folder (build-llvm.pl) that gets invoked from the Xcode build of lldb.  That checks out (if necessary) and builds llvm/clang.  That script used to use the Makefile build but we switched that to cmake a while ago.
> That script is invoked by one of the lldb Xcode targets.  So from Xcode you just build the overall lldb-tool target and that builds all the needed bits including fetching and building llvm/clang if necessary.  BTW in our case, if necessary means if the llvm product .a file is absent since most of us don't change clang and it is annoying to have the llvm make figure out if it needs to do anything every time you change an lldb file...

I've recently acquired a MacBook Air in order to test my changes on OS
X, but have been building LLDB with cmake + ninja on FreeBSD for over
a year.  I think this gives a bit of a different perspective on the
Xcode build, and I found it to be rather opaque. I was surprised to
find a svn process checking out another copy of LLVM after starting an
LLDB build - I'd already checked out llvm, clang, and LLDB with the
conventional layout.

Could the documentation for the Xcode build process
(http://lldb.llvm.org/build.html) be expanded? The instructions there
don't mention Xcode 5, and don't mention the non-Xcode llvm/clang
library build process that you describe above.