[lldb-dev] MacOSX tests now run multi-threaded

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Tue Jul 8 09:46:43 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I've updated the test runner for lldb so it now runs multithreaded on
MacOSX with similar performance gains to the Linux/FreeBSD test speedups.

On my MacBookPro (mid-2012 Retina), test runs when from ~28 minutes to 7.5
minutes.
On my MacPro (late-2013), test runs went from ~25 minutes to 3.5 minutes.

It's totally dependent on the number of cores, so YMMV, but it is faster.

Also, I've been discussing ways of mitigating tests that are load-sensitive
(which multithreaded test running exposes).  I'm looking at adding a new
test declaration that lists a test as load sensitive
(@load_sensitive_test), and somehow allowing that to fail in the
multithreaded pass without failing the test run.  Then, run all the
load-sensitive tests in a follow-up single-threaded pass if they failed
under load.  Then, only mark them as failed if they fail under the
single-threaded pass.  I'll have more to say on that when I get some time
behind it.  If we do something like that, it should eliminate the tests
that are hard to simplify and work under load, without forcing us to run
all tests in a *much longer* single-threaded manner.

--
Todd Fiala | Software Engineer | tfiala at google.com | 650-943-3180