[lldb-dev] Compiler requirements for compiling lldb?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Jul 7 19:50:48 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Randy Smith <rdsmith at chromium.org> wrote:

> Is there a goal of keeping lldb compatible with building with gcc?  I've
> been building successfully with gcc 4.8.2, but compiling at r212507 just
> broke with that gcc on a source line that was recently (today) changed.

Historically, my understanding is that LLDB has required much more recent
GCCs to build than the rest of LLVM, even LLD (which has always used
C++11). Personally, now that the baseline for LLVM's compiler support is
more reasonably modern (GCC 4.7, MSVC 2012, Clang 3.1) I wonder if it would
be acceptable to the LLDB developers to have a common baseline of host
toolchain support with the rest of the LLVM project[1]? If not, I wonder
what the LLVM baseline would need to be before they could be the same? Not
a big deal, but would simplify one point of "getting started" for folks
trying to hack on LLDB.

-Chandler

[1] The details are here:
http://llvm.org/docs/CodingStandards.html#supported-c-11-language-and-library-features