[lldb-dev] Target and platform clarification request

Matthew Gardiner mg11 at csr.com
Thu Jul 3 06:55:41 PDT 2014

Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> The way the "remote-gdb-server" is currently used it by other
> platforms (like PlatformPOSIX) have a shared pointer to a platform as
> a member variable:
>>
>>      lldb::PlatformSP m_remote_platform_sp; // Allow multiple ways to
>> connect to a remote POSIX-compliant OS
>>
>> And this platform can implement items 5-9, while the local subclass
>> "PlatformKalimba" can take care of doing the specific local file
>> system kinds of things (locating all development kits for Kalimba on
>> the current host, finding all things you have debug symbols for,
>> resolve executables, etc). When you then connect to your platform:
>>
>> (lldb) platform connect <url>
>>
>> Then your "PlatformKalimba" would then create a connection to a
>> remote lldb-platform (which is a GDB remote protocol based platform)
>> if you ever require the ability to do the steps 5-9 above. Otherwise,
>> the platform is still useful for locating local copies of your
>> executables.
>
> Oh, I see, we have a notion of the local and remote platforms when
> working with embedded debug.

I'm still kind of intrigued as to the conceptual split between the
notion of the local and the remote platforms.

As an example, presumably it's possible to be debugging a remote FreeBSD
process (which is being controlled by a gdbserver running on a remote
FreeBSD box) from lldb running on a local linux box. In that case would the:

local platform = remote-freebsd
remote platform = remote-gdb-server

with the local platform being -freebsd since the ELF being debugged was
built for FreeBSD?

(Note that for my linux build I have only these platforms available:
host: Local Linux user platform plug-in.
remote-freebsd: Remote FreeBSD user platform plug-in.
remote-linux: Remote Linux user platform plug-in.
remote-windows: Remote Windows user platform plug-in.
remote-gdb-server: A platform that uses the GDB remote protocol as the
communication transport.)

(Sorry if this seems to be an overly simplistic question - I'm just
trying to get my facts clear.)

thanks
Matt

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Keep up to date with CSR on our technical blog, www.csr.com/blog, CSR people blog, www.csr.com/people, YouTube, www.youtube.com/user/CSRplc, Facebook, www.facebook.com/pages/CSR/191038434253534, or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CSR_plc.
New for 2014, you can now access the wide range of products powered by aptX at www.aptx.com.