[lldb-dev] Adding support for a new language (Dylan)

Bruce Mitchener bruce.mitchener at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 04:20:59 PDT 2014

Hello all,

As I've mentioned before, I think, I work on a language called Dylan (
http://opendylan.org/). It was originally designed at Apple and some other
organizations in the early to mid 1990s.

I'm working on improving our debugging story as described in the blog post
that I posted last week (
http://dylanfoundry.org/2014/06/25/integrating-with-lldb/).

While some stuff is possible via Python scripts, other things require C++
code and being part of LLDB itself.  As an example, I'd like to add support
for:

    breakpoint set -E dylan ....

This requires adding a language runtime plugin and a couple of minor bits
of code.

At some point, I'd like to work on support for the dynamic type stuff as I
think that's a better solution than some of what I've done in Python.
 (Although this is made interesting as we don't use Clang, so I've got some
eventual questions about how some of this should work.)

What are the policies and guidelines for this sort of contribution?

I'm willing to write and help maintain code and I'm not looking to just
dump some code and run away. I suspect others will be in the same position
or are already are (like Keno Fischer from the Julia community).

Thanks for your time!

 - Bruce