[lldb-dev] problem with simple expr command

David Storch david.storch at mongodb.com
Mon Jan 6 10:13:12 PST 2014

Hi LLDB,

I'm debugging a C++ program and want to do some inspection by calling the
toString() method of an object. I'm pretty sure I have the syntax of the
command correct, but I get the error shown below:

(lldb) expr (string) query.toString()
error: call to a function
'std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char>
>::~basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >(int)'
that is not present in the target
error: The expression could not be prepared to run in the target

I interpret this error to mean that lldb is having trouble trying to deal
with the lifecycle for the returned std::string (doesn't know how to invoke
the string destructor).

Version of lldb:
lldb --version
LLDB-179.5