[lldb-dev] Build-bot host compiler upgrades and C++11!

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Jan 7 01:46:21 PST 2014

Greetings, I'm reaching out as you guys are a big subproject but I don't
know much about build infrastructure or bots over there....

As you may have heard on the LLVM list, we're planning to switch to use
C++11 now that 3.4 is out. The first step is establishing a new baseline of
compiler versions that are supported[1]:

MSVC 2012
GCC 4.7
Clang 3.1

If you are helping to keep build bot infrastructure running and up-to-date,
please check the host compiler versions and reply here if you're going to
have trouble upgrading. My rough plan based on chatting with some folks is
to submit checks to cmake and configure on Monday to produce an error on
older toolchains without some flag to force old toolchain support.

So reply to this thread if you need more time, or if all your bots are
ready-to-go! Thanks a bunch!
-Chandler

[1]: Most of these compilers were available in the middle (June) of 2012,
and based on the planned 3.5 release time frame of the middle of 2014, that
will mean a roughly two year spread of compiler releases. MSVC 2012 was
later, but the community seems comfortable with requiring the upgrade.
Also, these versions include very significant improvements that make
adopting C++11 features much more viable. This was discussed at some length
back on the LLVM list, but I'm happy to answer any questions about the
plan, why, when, and what the impact should be!