[lldb-dev] interesting note on build times: configure/make vs. cmake/ninja

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Wed Feb 5 12:59:31 PST 2014

Hi all,

Just thought I'd pass along that I've just did a build time comparison
between our standard lldb build setup: configure + (g)make (i.e. configure
&& make -j32), vs. cmake + ninja (i.e. cmake -GNinja && ninja).  On an HP
z620 with 32 virtual procs on ssd, it takes me just under 10 minutes to
build lldb with configure/make.  The same machine with ninja + cmake takes
4.25 minutes.  *huge* speedup.

We'll be moving in that direction on our dev setups based on that change.
 If for some reason we hit any hiccups with that, I'll be sure to tell you
about them.
--
Todd Fiala | Software Engineer | tfiala at google.com | 650-943-3180