[lldb-dev] LLDB @ Mac OSX: build on Snow Leopard (still) supported?

Jason Molenda jmolenda at apple.com
Tue Feb 4 14:17:44 PST 2014

On Feb 4, 2014, at 9:47 AM, Bjoern Kahl <mls at bjoern-kahl.de> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> according to the web page, building with XCode 3.x is supported, but
> trying so result in build failures, both when using xcodebuild as well
> as when following the (FreeBSD) "make" instructions.
>
> So my question is:
>
> Is building LLDB on Mac OSX Snow Leopard (still) supported?
> If yes, how can I fix the build failures, preferably the make based
> ones in the second part of this mail?

I think we need to update http://lldb.llvm.org/build.html and remove mentions of Xcode 3 -- and I don't think anyone has tried building current-lldb on Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) in a very long time and it is (clearly) not working.  We've tried to keep it building for Mac OS X 10.7 ("Lion") because there are a few people still running Lion but I don't think we've heard from people using Snow Leopard.

Most of the active lldb developers are running the current Mac OS X 10.9 release ("Mavericks") - I don't think anyone has a system still running Snow Leopard.  Greg would be better able to answer how receptive he would be to accepting patches to make it build on 10.6 again - but given that you have to use a non-Apple gcc release (so e.g. no Objective-C++ support) it may be a bit of work.

> Why do I need to checkout *and* *compile* a separate llvm and clang
> tree to build LLDB, even when the system has an installed llvm and
> clang?

llvm/clang are a compiler library that lldb uses to evaluate expressions from the user ("p 5 + (int)getpid()").  The API of this library is not intended to be stable.  Top of tree svn lldb builds against the TOT svn llvm/clang, and when API are changed in TOT llvm/clang, lldb changes to keep building against them.