[lldb-dev] Is anyone using the LLDB CMake standalone build?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 08:49:21 PST 2014

So lldb is supposed to build with cmake on OS X. Last time I tried (to get lldb-mi on OS X 10.9), I failed to get that to work.
Maybe I need to fetch the lldb tree in an llvm tree I fetched first?

On Monday December 29 2014 12:25:20 Vince Harron wrote:

> I've always assumed that the reason the apple guys don't generate their
> xcode projects from cmake is that there is some magic in the xcode projects
> that isn't supported by cmake-xcode project generator.  Is there any truth
> to that?

Or it's just that the Xcode generator is flaky, and tends to generate "corrupt" projects (in my experience that's true for most all KDE cmake projects).

> ninja is just faster than everything else.  It really is.
> And not a little bit, but a lot.  I'm a big fan of my IDE and you will only
> pry it out of my cold dead hands, but after I tried ninja once or twice, it
> was obvious that it was a huge win over building from the IDE.  All it
> takes me is typing "ninja" from a command shell.  Even I can manage that.
> Everything else - debugging, code completion, editing experience, file
> browsing - still works.  I just don't hit build from inside the IDE.

Seems it should be possible to set up Xcode to use (ninja as/with) an external build system ... Or you could try KDevelop, which supports cmake projects and ninja "natively" (i.e. with plugins).
Out of curiosity, does the ninja generator generate files that allow the equivalent of `make help` to get a list of known targets?
And what about install/fast?

R.