[lldb-dev] dlsym() and RTLD_FIRST

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Tue Aug 26 15:47:43 PDT 2014

The review is up on the LLVM side.  One point which was raised, and which I
agree with, is that the presence of the string makes the class much
heavier.  This string is only needed to mimic MacOSX's RTLD_FIRST behavior
on other posix platforms.  However, going back through the history of when
this was added, I never actually saw a use case from anyone saying "we
*need* this on Linux".  See the full original thread at [1].  But the TL;DR
is that the flag is nice to have on MacOSX, and the filename comparison was
added to Linux to maintain parity.

If nobody actually knows of a specific example of why this is necessary on
Linux, can we just remove this behavior on Linux?  My understanding is that
the only thing which will change by removing this for Linux is the
following: Imagine a plugin X is loaded, and X has a library dependency on
Y and Z.  X doesn't contain the plugin Initialize or Terminate symbol, but
Y or Z does.  With the filename comparison code, LoadPlugin would fail, and
without it, it would succeed and use the symbol found in Y or Z.  I can
understand that with the comparison the algorithm is a bit better, but it
seems such an extremely unusual edge case that I don't think it's a big
deal to remove it from the Linux side.

Thoughts?

[1] - http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.debugging.lldb.devel/300/focus=302