[lldb-dev] Simultaneous multiple target debugging

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Tue Aug 26 11:30:29 PDT 2014

As Jim stated we have the architecture to support multiple target debugging, but we haven't done much with it right now.

The current state is you can switch between targets and so stuff:

(lldb) file /bin/ls
(lldb) b malloc
(lldb) r
(lldb) file /bin/cat
(lldb) b free
(lldb) r

Now two targets are available:

(lldb) target list
(lldb) target select 0
(selects /bin/ls target)
(lldb) .... (do commands for /bin/ls target)
(lldb) target select 1
(selects /bin/cat target)
(lldb) .... (do commands for /bin/cat target)

We currently don't have anything that allows automatic switching of targets based on any criteria. If a target 0 stops asynchronously while target 1 is selected, we print that something happened on target 0, but we don't just emit a stop into and switch the target automatically.

So there is pleeeeennnnty of room for improvement and polish. The platform is a good place to manage two related targets and we should probably expand the platform to do a lot of this management.

I look forward to hearing from what you come up with.

And I do believe that a BOF on future directions for LLDB would be a good idea. We could easily cover:
1 - lldb-gdbserver along with NativeProcess and NativeThread
2 - multiple target debugging
3 - MI interface
4 - ????

Greg