[lldb-dev] Add --enable-aslr flag

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sat Aug 16 16:44:13 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Todd Fiala <tfiala at google.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've got Linux disabling ASLR per default as of a commit in review.  I'm
> going to follow up with adding an --enable-aslr flag.
>
> Do we want to consider removing the --disable-aslr flag since disabling is
> the default, and it is (perhaps) confusing to have the flag when it
> currently doesn't change behavior?  I can make an argument for keeping it
> once I add the --enable-aslr flag, but it's kinda weak.  If you don't
> specify anything, then it is less clear what you get.  If there's only an
> enable-aslr flag, then it's a little more clear that ASLR is disabled
> unless you specifically ask for it.
>
> Thoughts?

For heavily scripted things like build systems and compilers, having both
variants is useful -- you can override decisions made by one set of scripts
by passing the override, and the last one wins.

But I don't really see any way that applies to a debugger, so yea, I'm fine
nuking it and just doing --enable-aslr to switch from the default.