[lldb-dev] Pipe issue on LLDB Windows?

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Thu Aug 7 13:38:05 PDT 2014

Sorry, hit enter too soon.  I have been thinking about next steps for
fixing this in the longer term.  I think the way to go is that on Windows,
ConnectionFileDescriptor shouldn't even use select at all, nor should it
use the command pipe.  The purpose of the command pipe seems to be so that
various interrupt commands can be sent to interrupt the select, and then
terminate the connection or something else so that it doesn't block forever.

On Windows, the closest equivalent to select is WaitForMultipleObjects.  So
I think on Windows we need to switch to using WFMO instead of select().
 The command pipe will be replaced by various event objects, which the user
will set according to which interruption command they want to send.  WFMO
doesn't accept sockets though, so we need to call WSAEventSelect() to get
an event handle corresponding to read/write operations on the socket.

There's numerous other portability issues with this class currently, most
notably that select() on windows doesn't set errno