[lldb-dev] lldb review process

Thiago Farina tfarina at chromium.org
Fri Apr 11 13:23:54 PDT 2014

Thanks for the answers Todd, they were very clarifying ;)

Please, see below some of my replies.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Todd Fiala <tfiala at google.com> wrote:

> Some people do indeed use Phabricator.  You can go here:
> http://reviews.llvm.org/
>
> I think it is also possible to do reviews on bugzilla, like WebKit does.
But I'm familiar with those.

> which states a process for LLVM that involves sending patches to (for
> lldb) lldb-commits or lldb-dev, which doesn't specifically require
> (although it does support) a gerrit/Phabricator/etc. change list review
> site.
>

>> Also, I noticed that it is still using svn for its source control. I use
>> git, so that is a barrier.
>>

> You can pull code down from the git mirror, we do this all the time:
> http://llvm.org/git/llvm
> http://llvm.org/git/clang
> http://llvm.org/git/lldb
>
> Oh, yeah, I'm checking out the code from these git trees already.

> I think it is documented here<http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#git-mirror>
> .
>
> If you get submit permissions, I find it way easier to submit into an svn
> tree since I've always found git-svn integration flaky, but some people do
> submit (via git-svn) and just work entirely out of git.  You have those
> options to consider.

Is there instructions in lldb.llvm.org for setting git-svn? I use git-svn
for skia, so I might be able to reuse their instructions with some tweaks,
so I will look at this later. But I think it might be worth to have this
documented somewhere.

>> Also it does not seem to have a CQ.
>>

> CQ - can you define?  Do you mean a quality control system like the llvm
> buildbot system <http://lab.llvm.org:8011/console>?  It doesn't *appear*
> that we collectively look at them frequently, but I might be wrong on that.
>  Fortunately, people are quick to chime in on lldb-dev when there's an
> issue on their build.  Sometime in the future I plan on adding a Google
> Android buildbot and it will be spitting out nag emails when our tests
> break to the suspected change lists added since the last green test run.  I
> think the FreeBSD buildbot (?) does this as well, but most don't.  (Every
> once in a while a buildbot email goes to lldb-dev, but it's a rare event
> --- maybe we just never break the build :-P).
>
> Sorry for using an abbreviation which not everyone might be familiar with.
CQ stands for Commit Queue, which is a system that could be running on top
of the review system and committs patches when they are ready to be
submitted back into the official repository (after the patch has been
compiled and tested and approved by the reviewer(s)). Both projects I'm
more familiar with, WebKit and Chromium, do use it.

--
Thiago Farina