[lldb-dev] Expressions aren't evaluated with respect to target's endianness

Sean Callanan scallanan at apple.com
Mon Sep 9 16:27:05 PDT 2013

Félix,

thanks for looking at this.  I had a quick look through the IRInterpreter.

The implementation of Instruction::Load and Instruction::Store are probably okay, since they’re just moving data around.
It also appears that when we read data into Scalars, we read it correctly, because we’re using EvaluateValue, which uses a properly-initialized DataExtractor.  Writing data out of Scalars is also okay, because it uses GetAsMemoryData, which is parameterized with a byte order.

As a result, I think the problem is localized to ResolveConstant.  Your intuition was probably right: the data coming out of ResolveConstantValue needs to be byte-swapped before being written into memory.  I’d do that right in ResolveConstant, by using a StreamString (initialized with flags = eBinary and addr_size and byte_order to match the target).

If you can get me a patch I’ll be happy to review it.

Sean