[lldb-dev] lldb 3.4 rc1 is failing with gcc 4.6

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Mon Nov 25 14:14:19 PST 2013

FWIW - here's the build script I used to build LLDB on Ubuntu 12.04:

First make sure you have the following packages installed:
sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-multilib git libedit-dev
libmpc-dev libmpfr-dev python-dev swig

Uncompress the attached script to some directory in your path.  It's a
python script with a few other python modules pulled in.

Then run it with build-lldb.py -h to see the options.

Typically I run it like so:
cd {some_root_directory}
PYTHONUNBUFFERED=true build-lldb.py -s --base-compiler=gcc -c tot -j 16 -d
2>&1 | tee tot-build.log

This will do a ton of things.  It will create a directory called tot,
download llvm, clang, lldb, check if your gcc is less than 4.8, and if so,
downloads gcc 4.8.2 and installs it in the tot tree (no sudo access
needed).  It then goes ahead and builds LLVM with gcc.  It will then
install the built LLVM bits (including lldb) into tot/final.

It has other options, like using a --stage1 to build a clang compiler from
the current llvm tree using whatever the base compiler is, but since I
haven't had much luck with getting that working, I am not promising it
works since I hit an internal build error in clang building all of LLVM
with the stage 1 clang. I'll eventually get back to that since I'd like to
be able to build everything with the latest clang, particularly if we're
doing work on debug info support.

To run the LLDB you built, you'll need to include the gcc 4.8.2 path
(tot/gcc/lib64) in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH so it picks up the newer libstdc++
built with gcc 4.8.2.

cd {some_root_directory - from above}
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/tot/gcc/lib64 tot/final/bin/lldb

If this ends up being a useful script for more, we can put it somewhere
shared.  For now I'm just using it internally here.  I'm sure I'll continue
to tweak it as we figure out our workflow over here (changing compilers,
learn more about other ways of building that might make more sense, etc.).

Let me know if that gets you further.