[lldb-dev] A big thank you (and Windows support)

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Wed May 29 12:05:55 PDT 2013

On May 29, 2013, at 12:24 AM, daniel at collin.com wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm currently using LLDB as backend for a new debugger (anyone interested can look at http://emoon.github.io/ProDBG) and I just wanted to say a big thank you.

I am glad you like it.

> The C++ API (even a bit lacking documentation wise) has been really great to work and I honestly couldn’t ask for more so hats off for that!

That is great to hear.

> The debugger project is primary for Mac OS X and LLDB works great there so no big issue with that but at some point I would like to bring it over to Windows as well. I have looked around a bit in the codebase and there seems to be some Windows support there but I'm a bit unsure of what the current status is?

There is a windows branch with all the required changes for windows. I haven't had time to check these changes out and merge them into trunk yet, but I hope to get to that in the next few months

> Another issue is that often programs on Windows is compiled using msvc and thus has PDB files for the debug info and I wonder if there are any plans on supporting PDBs? One issue also is that PDB file format is proprietary so one would have to reverse engineer it (or use the imghelp library on Windows but dunno if it would give all data needed)

This is the main issue. PDB is a closed file format. It would be great to support it, but it might require a lot of work.

Greg Clayton