[lldb-dev] Building with gcc-4.7 on Ubuntu without it being the default gcc compiler

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Fri May 17 12:16:31 PDT 2013

I have LLDB close to building with gcc-4.7 on Ubuntu without needing it to be the default compiler.

The issue I ran into was that there are places that check for g++ being the compiler and add extra flags if the name is exactly "g++"

There is some Makefile code that does:

ifeq (g++,$(shell basename $(CXX)))
    do stuff
endif

If there a good makefile mechanism to say if the basename starts with "g++"? I know I can probably pass this through "colrm", but I didn't know if there is a common other way that this kind of thing should be done.

Right now to get things building I just did:

ifeq (g++,$(shell basename $(CXX)))
    do stuff
endif
ifeq (g++-4.7,$(shell basename $(CXX)))
    do stuff
endif

But I don't want to check this in as the fix should really work for any GCC.

Greg Clayton