[lldb-dev] lldb/llvm debug info for methods

Carlo Kok ck at remobjects.com
Thu Mar 21 13:56:04 PDT 2013

Op 21-3-2013 20:16, Jason Molenda schreef:
> I'm not sure what you mean when you can't step through a method. You
might want to show an example from an lldb debug session where something
is not working as you expected.

> For the best behavior unwinding the stack, lldb needs to know the
start addresses of every function in a file. Often times a file can get
stripped of some of its (non-exported) symbols -- but in Mach-O binaries
there is a separate section (LC_FUNCTION_STARTS) which doesn't get
stripped out and provides the start address of every function in the
file. This information can also be gotten from the eh_frame unwind
information if that is present. lldb uses these sources of information
to supplement the symbol table and add these "unnamed_function" symbols
when it reads in the object file.

Thanks for the suggestion. It ended up simply being that "private"
didn't work at all with the debugger. Switched to "internal" linkage
(after a suggestion on #llvm) and everything works as expected.

Thanks!