[lldb-dev] Building and signing debugserver

Benjamin Kemper kemperbenny at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:29:28 PDT 2013

To permanently allow, edit "/etc/authorization" and change the value of the
"system.privilege.taskport" key to "allow" (if I remember correctly). Be
careful though, as this will allow any program on the system to use
task_for_pid. I think you can further play with this to allow only a
specific user or group but I haven't tried it yet.

To allow the use of task_for_pid only for the current SSH session use:
security authorize -l -c system.privilege.taskport

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Richard Mitton <richard at codersnotes.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So I'm trying to build debugserver for OS X. I followed all the steps in
> code_signing.txt and was able to get a debugserver binary.
>
> When I run lldb using this binary, I get a dialog asking for 'Developer
> Tools Access' in order to run it. If I enter my password this works fine.
> (although I'm not sure if it sticks over a reboot)
>
> -However- if I try and SSH into this machine and run it from there, it
> fails ("initial process state wasn't stopped"). I believe this is because
> the permissions dialog only applies to the current session, so the SSH
> shell doesn't inherit it (and can't open a GUI to ask me).
>
> So, what is the process needed to permanently grant permissions for the
> debugserver binary? I can make it work by changing the owner of the file to
> root/wheel and setting the setuid bit, but I'm not sure if this is the
> right solution.
>
> --
> Richard Mitton
> richard at codersnotes.com