[lldb-dev] debug server help

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Tue Sep 18 14:25:12 PDT 2012

On Sep 18, 2012, at 1:56 PM, Carlo Kok <ck at remobjects.com> wrote:

> Op 18-9-2012 21:54, Carlo Kok schreef:
>> Op 18-9-2012 20:06, Greg Clayton schreef:
>>> I removed all uses of "%z" modifiers in our printf format strings in
>>> top of tree. Merge top of tree over to get the fixes:
>>>

>> Thanks for the help Greg (and João Matos). Limited remote debugging
>> works now on Windows (after my latest commit), start, continue,
>> breakpoint, kill and event handling (Through code only, the driver is
>> still not working on Windows).
>

> I noticed it transfers about 16mb worth of data (for a single bp on main in a printf("hello"); sleep() function). What options do I have to optimize this? It seems to be doing lots of "Read memory" from within the symbol loading code (and if I kill the process while it does it it sigsegv-s). I couldn't find a "need symbols for dylib/file X" event I could hook up to (i can get the files over and store them locally that way it could load it from disk)

Yes, all shared libraries are being read from memory.

Platforms do have the ability to set an sysroot:

(lldb) platform select --sysroot \path\to\macosx\sysroot remote-macosx

If you make a local copy of the shared libraries from your remote Mac OS (copy /usr/bin/* /usr/lib/* /System/Library/Frameworks/* /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/* and what ever else you neeed) into a local directory like "\path\to\macosx\sysroot", then you wil avoid this issue. So when we go asking for "/usr/lib/dyld" we will look in "\path\to\macosx\sysroot\usr\lib\dyld". This is the real reason we want to have a platform connection: so we can download SDK files and cache them locally. For now we will need to just let it copy stuff.

The other way to do this, is ask users to mount the remote MacOSX root partition so that it can be accessed locally. If you enable windows sharing on your remote Mac, you should be able to connect to it, and then just give that path for the "--sysroot". We don't expose the platforms as objects through the public API at the moment, but you can easily just execute the command:

m_debugger.HandleCommand ("platform select --sysroot \path\to\macosx\sysroot remote-macosx");

m_debugger.CreateTarget(....)

Does that make sense?

Greg Clayton