[lldb-dev] Is sudo needed to run an lldb debug build (on Mac OS X)

Malea, Daniel daniel.malea at intel.com
Thu Oct 4 16:13:11 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I recently tried building and running lldb on Mac OS X (10.8) and I noticed the following error with the process_events.py example:

python ../examples/python/process_events.py --breakpoint malloc --stop-command bt --stop-command 'register read' -- /bin/ls -lAF /tmp/Creating a target for '/bin/ls'
Current breakpoints:
1: name = 'malloc', locations = 1
  1.1: where = libsystem_c.dylib`malloc, address = 0x000000000002db7e, unresolved, hit count = 0

Launching "/bin/ls"...
error: failed to get the task for process 49480

However, if I run the above with 'sudo', everything works as expected :) On Linux though, the above works fine without sudo.

Is sudo really needed or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,
Dan