[lldb-dev] Directories to search for separate debugging information

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Tue Nov 13 12:54:24 PST 2012

On Nov 13, 2012, at 12:14 PM, Sara Burke <Sara.Burke at mathworks.com> wrote:

> Hi lldb-dev,
>
> There is a "debug-file-directory" concept in gdb to use for debug information in separate files and I am wondering if you can suggest to me an equivalent/related concept in lldb.
> That is, in gdb, one can use the command 'set debug-file-directory directories' to specify an hierarchy of directories in which to search for debugging information.
> Is there such a concept in lldb? If you guys are not the right people to ask, perhaps you can point me in the right direction. If such a command is documented I must have missed it.
>
> This is the gdb info:
>
> (gdb) help set debug-file-directory
> Set the directory where separate debug symbols are searched for.
> Separate debug symbols are first searched for in the same
> directory as the binary, then in the `.debug' subdirectory,
> and lastly at the path of the directory of the binary with
> the global debug-file directory prepended.

Is this for MacOSX debugging, or another system?

We don't currently have this in LLDB, except on MacOSX, LLDB uses DebugSymbols.framework to locate the dSYM files for your executables. This has many ways to track down dSYM files, including spotlight, explicit paths like ~/Library/Symbols, and many other ways. So if you are on a Mac, just make sure the dSYM file is somewhere that spotlight can see it, and we will find it for you without any need for further work.

Greg Clayton