[lldb-dev] Limbo

Jim Ingham jingham at apple.com
Thu Dec 20 10:57:36 PST 2012

On Dec 20, 2012, at 10:30 AM, "Kaylor, Andrew" <andrew.kaylor at intel.com> wrote:

> Like Matt, I have no idea why eStopReasonTrace was chosen here.  It probably stems from the fact that the limbo state happens in response to a "PTRACE" event, so probably guessed PTRACE_EVENT==eStopReasonTrace.

Ah, interesting.  The single-step bit on a processor is sometimes called the "trace" bit, so eStopReasonTrace was the stop reason you get when you set the trace bit and allow the process to run, and then it comes back having executed a single instruction.  Instruction single stepping is used a lot to implement the various stepping strategies, so calling a stop eStopReasonTrace when it is really just some random stop or other is definitely going to confuse us.  I'm sure Greg and I thought that naming was as self-evident as eStopReasonBreakpoint.  But we should document the stop reasons to avoid future confusion.

> Frankly, I'm not even clear what the purpose of the limbo state is.  We get there because the Linux ProcessMonitor::Launch method calls PTRACE(...PTRACE_O_TRACEEXIT...), and a comment there says, "This is used to keep the child in limbo until it is destroyed."  So it seems like someone thought we should be stopping there.  (FWIW, svn blame attributes the comment to 'wilsons' as part of the original Linux process plugin on 7/23/2010.)  I notice that the PTRACE_O_TRACEEXIT call is currently excluded for FreeBSD.
>
> The ptrace man page says this about PTRACE_O_TRACEEXIT:
>
> "This stop will be done early during process exit when registers are still available, allowing the tracer to see where the exit occurred, whereas the normal exit notification is done after the process is finished exiting. Even though context is available, the tracer cannot prevent the exit from happening at this point."
>
> So it might be a useful place to let the user stop and look around, but I wouldn't think we'd ordinarily want to stop there.

Right.  There's a similar thing with shared library loads.  For the most part you would never want to stop there, that would just annoy you.  But for some odd cases you might want to.  Similarly for when a program spawns a subprogram, makes a thread, etc.  Right now there's no way to do that from the lldb command line, but I want add that possibility for all these sorts of program events.

Jim