[lldb-dev] Some hints for Dtrace support.

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at tutopia.com
Sun May 22 20:28:59 PDT 2011

Hi;

I understand Dtrace is supported on MacOS X and the BSDs,
and I have seen there are patches for linux too, so I
am starting to play with it.

Solaris' MDB seems to be the only debugger that supports
Dtrace proper through a set of dcmds. It would be nice
to have similar support on lldb so, JFYI, I asked one
of Dtrace designers about it:

--- On Wed, 5/18/11, Bryan Cantrill  wrote:

> > Is there something that the debugger know about
> > Dtrace? There is some ongoing work in pathDB and
> > lldb as possible replacements to gdb and having
> > Dtrace well supported could be really nice.
>
> The knowledge that the debugger has of DTrace is really
> limited to its ability to process in-kernel DTrace
> buffers.  See:
>
>   http://wikis.sun.com/display/DTrace/Postmortem+Tracing

FWIW, the mdb sources are here:

http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/cmd/mdb/

Just thought someone may want to explore it.

cheers,

Pedro.