[lldb-dev] Debugging JIT-compiled code with LLVM

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Wed Nov 17 17:37:19 PST 2010

The main issue is that there is no central place right now where JIT'ed code is registered that allows anyone to register newly generated code that would be known to debuggers. I know the current dyld has some way to add JIT's code to its all_image_infos structure, but none of our debuggers use this, so even if you did add your jitted code to this structure, no darwin debuggers would currently see this anyway.

I beleive that GDB has some hooks for loading JIT'ed ELF .o files on the fly, but I don't believe this is implemented for mach-o .o files on MacOSX.

LLDB currently doesn't yet have any support for JIT'ed code, though I would be happy to work with you if you wanted to get that working in LLDB.

Greg Clayton