[Lldb-commits] [lldb] WIP: [lldb] Support Persistent Variables as DIL Identifiers (PR #215706)

Will Hawkins via lldb-commits lldb-commits at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 11 18:53:10 PDT 2026


hawkinsw wrote:

During the discussion of https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/215650, @jimingham pointed out that it might be nice to be able to use persistent (a.k.a. result) variables in DIL expressions. Having said that, I am not sure whether that is what he said or that is what I interpreted. If it is the latter, I sincerely apologize.

Nevertheless, I took a crack and adding such functionality. 

The PR here contains no tests -- I didn't want to bombard everyone if this feature is not something useful or one that people want. That said, if it is something that would be useful, I will gladly go back and add ample tests and respond to any other comments! In particular, if there is a desire to add this feature, we could simplify the logic in the implementation of `dwim-print` (which is what I think @jimingham was advocating for to begin with!).

Thank you for letting me take a crack at adding some DIL functionality -- the work you have all done on this so far is great.

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/215706


More information about the lldb-commits mailing list