[Lldb-commits] [PATCH] D40616: ObjectFileELF: Add support for compressed sections

Zachary Turner via lldb-commits lldb-commits at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 30 07:21:02 PST 2017

Did you forget to add the new test to the changeset?
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 6:19 AM Pavel Labath <labath at google.com> wrote:

> I have to say I quite like how this test turned out to look like. In
> terms of the last night's SBAPI vs. lldb-mi vs. whateever discussion,
> i'd can say that there is nothing preventing this test written in
> terms of the SB API. I didn't do it that way, because I have
> automatically written the test at the same level as the code I was
> modifying (which generally means the test is more light-weight and
> focused), but since the SBModule/SBSection don't have much additional
> logic themselves, it does not matter much in this case. However, I
> agree that we don't want to restrict ourselves to the SB API here --
> SB is good at providing a debugger API, but with this tool we are
> explicitly not trying to test the debugger as a whole, but its
> individual pieces.
> And as far as lldb-mi goes, writing a test for this through lldb-mi
> would quite challenging, as it is too high level. afaik (and I can't
> say that I know much about lldb-mi) there is no lldb-mi primitive that
> would let me read raw section data. And even if there was, I'd have to
> be very careful in constructing the test object file, so that it would
> look "valid enough" that lldb-mi would dare touch it.
> On 30 November 2017 at 14:02, Pavel Labath via Phabricator
> <reviews at reviews.llvm.org> wrote:
> > labath updated this revision to Diff 124926.
> > labath added a comment.
> >
> > This rewrites the test in terms on the new lldb-test utility. It should
> be applied on top of https://reviews.llvm.org/D40636.
> >
> > While doing that, I noticed a discrepancy in the data presented by the
> object
> > file interface -- for GetFileSize(), it would return the compressed
> size, but,
> > when reading the data, it would return the decompressed size. This
> seemed odd
> > and unwanted.
> >
> > So now I fetch the decompressed size when constructing the Section
> object, and
> > make sure GetFileSize result matches what the GetSectionData returns.
> This is
> > slightly odd as well, because now if someone looks at individual section
> file
> > offsets and sizes, it will seem that multiple sections overlap. While
> > unfortunate, this is a situation that can arise in without the presence
> of
> > compressed sections (no linker will produce a file like that, but you can
> > certainly hand-craft one), and our elf parser will hapily accept these
> files.
> >
> >
> > https://reviews.llvm.org/D40616
> >
> > Files:
> >   lit/CMakeLists.txt
> >   lit/Modules/compressed-sections.yaml
> >   lit/Modules/lit.local.cfg
> >   lit/lit.cfg
> >   lit/lit.site.cfg.in
> >   source/Plugins/ObjectFile/ELF/ObjectFileELF.cpp
> >   source/Plugins/ObjectFile/ELF/ObjectFileELF.h
> >   tools/lldb-test/lldb-test.cpp
> >   unittests/ObjectFile/ELF/TestObjectFileELF.cpp
> >
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/lldb-commits/attachments/20171130/e9d67025/attachment.html>

More information about the lldb-commits mailing list