[libcxx-dev] [llvm-dev] Update on Bugzilla migration

Mehdi AMINI via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 12 11:36:30 PST 2021

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 11:15 AM Philip Reames via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I've raised this point once before, but I think it's time to raise it
> again.
>
> I believe we should drop the goal of keeping bug numbers in sync between
> github and the legacy llvm bug database.  We do need a one-to-one
> mapping, but the numbers can be distinct.  This requires a bit of extra
>  ugliness in terms of needing to add a comment to every bug (both copies)
> with a link to the other, but this is a minimal badness, and stops
> mattering fairly quickly after the transition

It is even better than this: if we can generate a map of old IDs to new IDs
when doing the conversion, it really isn't difficult to keep the existing
URL working (redirecting to the right migrated GitHub issue).

I may be missing something about other advantages of mapping 1-1?

> Continuing to hold back the transition of new bugs to github is causing
> real immediate harm.  I strongly believe we are better off moving now
> with an imperfect system than waiting any longer.

Is the ID mapping really the only issue keeping us back though?

--
Mehdi