[libcxx-dev] Improvements to the libc++ approval policy

Martin Storsjö via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 3 23:30:45 PST 2021

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021, Louis Dionne via libcxx-dev wrote:

> I reached out to some contributors who have been getting involved in the
> review process on their own and they nicely agreed to become co-approvers
> for libc++. Those people are Arthur, Marek, Mark and Zoe (thanks!). Whenever
> any two of them approve a patch, the `libc++` review group will be made
> "green" and you can consider your patch approved and ready to go. This
> doesn't change anything for contributors per se -- you can basically commit
> your patch whenever the `libc++` review group on Phabricator is marked as
> green, as before.
>
> To these new co-approvers, I also think it's important to clarify that there
> are no expectations. We all understand that your involvement in libc++ is
> purely voluntary and I want to make sure that it never transforms into a
> burden.

This sounds to me like a good path forward, to mitigate the review
bottleneck (and scarily low bus factor) without significantly lowering the
level of quality required.

I'll be adding some of these new approvers on patches of mine where there
already is one approval from someone (I guess all patches with the libc++
group reviewer set will show up in their review queues now too?) to try it
out.

// Martin