[libcxx-dev] [RFC] A vision for building the runtimes

Martin Storsjö via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 27 00:08:50 PDT 2020

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020, Petr Hosek via libcxx-dev wrote:

> In terms of timing, I think it'd be ideal if we could prepare everything in
> the next few months and ask users to start migrating to the new unified
> standalone build. We could mark the current standalone and monorepo builds
> as deprecated immediately after the LLVM 12 branch point, and remove them
> some time later so the unified standalone build is the only supported way to
> build runtimes in LLVM 13. Does that sound like a reasonable timeframe?

If the new way of building things is available in LLVM 12 (as an equally
functional option to the current standalone builds), that sounds like a
good timeframe to me. Ideally, I'd like to be able to build both the
latest stable release and the current master branch in the same way, so I
could switch to using the new way once LLVM 12 is finalized.

A shorter timeframe (adding the new build structure after LLVM 12 is
branched off, and making it the only option before LLVM 13 is released) is
manageable but less convenient to me, and probably even more so for people
who don't track master closely but only peek into things at the releases.

// Martin