[libcxx-dev] DLL version of Libcxx on Windows

Joe Laughlin via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 28 16:15:21 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there are plans to allow a DLL version of libcxx for use on Windows. I am asking because several projects I am involved with have several application specific binaries and linking in the static lib into each one increases the processes disk and memory footprint considerably. Having a DLL version would reduce the duplication, but I do understand that cross DLL calling conventions and overhead would make this more expensive from a CPU perspective. However, we could PGO the CRT DLL also to recover some of the costs.