[libcxx-dev] Proposal for handling experimental features in libc++

Marshall Clow via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 17 10:16:12 PDT 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 11:18 PM Eric Fiselier <eric at efcs.ca> wrote:

> I'm coming into this conversation late, so let me pontificate for a moment:

[snip]

> With that in mind, here are my thoughts on the proposal:
>
> * `std::experimental::foo` and `std::foo` are different things. It's
> important for users to understand that
>   `std::experimental::foo` provides none of  the same API/ABI stability
> guarantees `std::foo` does.

Not only that, but there is no guarantee that  `std::experimental::foo` and
`std::foo` behave the same.
(Similar, almost certainly yes - but in detail, probably not)
Optional is the poster child here.

If people want stability, guarantees against breaking changes, etc. - then
they should not use stuff in std::experimental.
Period. Full stop.
Wait for it to appear in a standard.

-- Marshall