[libcxx-dev] Contributing debug visualizers for libc++

Louis Dionne via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 19 11:08:55 PDT 2019

> On Jul 19, 2019, at 13:38, Sterling Augustine <saugustine at google.com> wrote:
>
> I'm working on this today. Question:
>
> What directories would be best for the python package and the associated tests? They don't seem to fit well in any current directories.

Under libcxx/test, we could add a new directory like libcxx/test/gdb. We need to keep this out of the directories normally considered by lit, but I think that’s the only hard requirement.

> If gdb isn't installed on the machine, should they fail or not run? There are tradeoffs with both approaches.

They should not run unless there’s a compelling reason to do otherwise. We don’t want to tie passing the libc++ test suite to having gdb installed!

Note that whatever approach we use, it would be nice if we could use the same approach for the lldb formatters once/if the LLDB folks decide to send them our way.

Louis