[libcxx-dev] Removing deprecated <ext/hash_set>, <ext/hash_map> and <ext/__hash>

Louis Dionne via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 4 11:31:54 PST 2019

Hi,

Libc++ has been shipping the <ext/hash_set>, <ext/hash_map> and <ext/__hash> headers for a while and they are deprecated. Those headers contain data structures like __gnu_cxx::hash_map that have replacements like std::unordered_map. I would like to remove those headers. I've put up a patch for review but I won't commit it until we have a sort of plan because I know some people have expressed feelings about removing the headers in the past: https://reviews.llvm.org/D57688 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D57688>.

FWIW, I've compiled a large code base with that patch and I didn't get any trouble. I suspect the amount of breakage this will cause is manageable especially if we give advance notice, but others might disagree.

Is anybody opposed to removing those headers? If you're opposed to the removal, please explain why and what removal timeline/plan would work for you.

Thanks!
Louis