[libcxx-dev] An extension of libcxx

JF Bastien via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 11 09:39:22 PST 2018

I’m very excited to have NVIDIA collaborate on libc++. It’s worth supporting your weirdo macro hack as a transitional tool.

I’m especially interested in working on freestanding in clang / libc++, bringing the good parts of it from the current C++ standard, and working with you and other on the Committee to make C++23 freestanding actually nice (Ben Craig has been working on wg21.link/P0829R3 <http://wg21.link/P0829R3>). I hope that we can experiment on what’s “nice” in clang / libc++ in the next few months.
One design constraint around freestanding: I want to make sure that clang can keep supporting other STL implementations.

I’d like to understand if we can have a different ABI for freestanding, given that it’s not supported in libc++ today. This might be an opportunity to fix some mistakes.

On “freestanding” macro, clang does the following today:
  if (LangOpts.Freestanding)
    Builder.defineMacro("__STDC_HOSTED__", "0");
  else
    Builder.defineMacro("__STDC_HOSTED__");
Otherwise, clang’s lib/Headers do some stuff with HOSTED as well, which might interfere with freestanding.

Good header hygiene indeed seems necessary, especially for <algorithm>. Louis mentioned that he was interested in looking into this.
Louis did a survey and found the following:

Freestanding in the current C++20 draft requires the following headers:

    <ciso646>
    <cstddef>
    <cfloat>
    <limits>
    <climits>
    <cstdint>
    <cstdlib>
    <new>
    <typeinfo>
    <exception>
    <initializer_list>
    <cstdarg>
    <type_traits>
    <atomic>

Of those headers, I think the following are easy to provide with minimal changes to libc++ and without having to ship a libc++ shared object (or compiler-rt), and they use the following parts of the C Standard Library:

    <ciso646>: nothing
    <cstddef>: stddef.h
    <cfloat> : float.h
    <limits> : stddef.h
    <climits>: limits.h
    <cstdint>: stdint.h
    <cstdlib>: stdlib.h
    <initializer_list>: stddef.h
    <cstdarg>: stdarg.h
    <type_traits>: stddef.h

As a result, I think the following are low-hanging fruit that do not require any runtime support AFAICT:

    <ciso646>
    <cstddef>
    <cfloat>
    <limits>
    <climits>
    <cstdint>
    <initializer_list>
    <type_traits>

Other things we might be able to throw in with minimal effort:

    <bit>
    <ratio>

Other things that we SHOULD be able to have, but that would require refactoring in libc++ (and most of them are not part of the current freestanding):

    <tuple>
    <pair>
    most if not all of <functional>
    most of <algorithm>