[Libclc-dev] Beignet wants to apply libclc

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Sep 16 08:03:38 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:01:29AM -0400, Erik Schnetter wrote:
>> He Junyan
>>
>> The pocl project <http://pocl.sourceforge.net/> also contains an
>> implementation of the OpenCL run-time library, and I was similarly
>> hoping that we could join forces with libclc at some point.
>
> This would be great if we could do this.

I have been following the recent additions to libclc adding
high-accuracy math functions; this is where pocl's clc library is
lacking. While all math functions should be there, they often do not
have the required accuracies.

>> Compared to libclc, pocl should have more functionality, but the math
>> functions are optimized for speed instead of accuracy.
>>

> I'm not sure pocl has more functionality than libclc when it comes to
> GPUs.  pocl uses __builtin functions for a lot of the math intrinsics which
> expand to libm calls, but libm is not available on GPUs.

Apologies -- I indeed meant for CPUs. To my knowledge, pocl has not
been used to target GPUs, although other accelerator-type devices are
targeted as well.

-erik