[Libclc-dev] libclc status

Mitch Gu jguonline at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 11:40:26 PST 2013

Hi Tom,

Thanks for this. This is very helpful.

Mitch

________________________________
 From: Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net>
To: Mitch Gu <jguonline at yahoo.com>
Cc: "libclc-dev at pcc.me.uk" <libclc-dev at pcc.me.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Libclc-dev] libclc status

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 09:21:13AM -0800, Mitch Gu wrote:

> I am evaluating the several Open source OpenCL implementation right now.  I'd like to use clang/llvm to implement it.
>

> My question are:
>    What is the current status of libclc ?
>    What is the relationship with pocl
> (http://pocl.sourceforge.net/), or Clover
> (http://people.freedesktop.org/~steckdenis/clover/index.html) ?
>
> It looks like Clover isn't active for a while, so libclc will be used  as
> an opencl compiler for open source linux graphics compute (the new R600
> backend has been added into llvm tree) ?

Hi Mitch,

Clover is still being developed and has been merged into the Mesa codebase:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/

Currently the only hardware supported by clover are AMD
Evergreen and Northern Islands (besides Cayman) GPUs.  See
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute for more information.

Clover uses libclc as the standard library implementation for OpenCL C and links
OpenCL kernels against it.

Hope this helps.

-Tom