[Libclc-dev] Install location for the pkg-config file

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Tue Aug 13 07:49:18 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:45:58AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on bringing a better multilib experience for Gentoo users,
> and I've tripped a bit on default install layout of libclc. By default,
> libclc configure.py uses $prefix/lib/pkgconfig which is not really
> a valid location on a multilib system.
>
> As far as I can see, libclc installs only LLVM bytecode and headers,
> and explicitly uses libexecdir rather than libdir. Does that mean that
> libclc is completely ABI-agnostic? In that case, the proper install
> location for pkg-config would be $prefix/share/pkgconfig.

Yes, libclc only installs LLVM bytecode and headers.  Currently, only
GPU targets are supported, so it is ABI-agnostic in the sense that the
ABI of the host machine doesn't matter.  However, it is possible that it
could support CPU targets in the future which might not be ABI-agnostic.

> Could you please tell me if I'm correct? And if I am, I think it would
> be really beneficial to change the default within libclc sources
> as well.

I don't know much about system layout best practices, but I am in favor of changing the
install prefix if it makes things easier for distros.  I'm not sure how
the current install prefixes were selected.

-Tom